Friday, January 01, 2016

Start the new year off right

Having had a late night on 30th (but a fantastic one, catching up with most of my old group from school and laughing till we cried for hours on end), during which I may also have drunk way more wine than is good for you, I flew back home yesterday evening and more or less collapsed into bed. Stopping only to let the friends who had invited me to their new year's eve celebration know that I wasn't going to make it.

I've had a very easy day today as well, reading and catching up on sleep whenver I felt my eyes closing. About an hour ago I started thinking about food and what to cook for dinner. There are frozen chips in the freezer but I kind of wanted to eat something healthy after all the indulgence over the holidays. So I thought of the curry paste I also have in the freezer and thought maybe with a tin of chickpeas, that would do the trick. I was still thinking it'd be a bit bland though, with no vegetable or meat component. And then I looked in the freezer (actually, I had gone as far as opening the freezer to get out the chips after all) and remembered I had two small containers of cabbage. Sorted. Then I remember there was also a bag of green beans in there. Even better. And then my eye caught on the two sweet potatoes that have been languishing in my kitchen since some time in October. And so a curry is born.
I've added tumeric to the rice (tumeric is supposed to be good for your liver, isn't it? I need that after the past few days). And I sauteed the sweet potatoes in cubes before adding the curry paste discs. Of course then it all went a bit pear-shape because I came into the sitting room to start my laptop and for some reason began to look at photos on an old memory card. I was looking for the cable to attach my phone to the computer to get the photos off and saw the card in the box and the next thing you know... ... ...


So this became a bit burnt before I got back to it. Oh well. I've added some water, the chickpeas and cabbage - don't think it was so badly burnt that it'll be inedible. Smells good actually. Beans will go in in a minute and hey presto, a healthy dinner to start the year off right. Might not have managed a walk today (yet) but at least one aspect is covered.




Year in Books 2015 is still to come. And I never posted about my Sealed Pot opening either. I'm half thinking of trying to post every day in January so might see how that goes. For now, I wish you all a very happy, peaceful and joyous new year, something I'm planning on doing my best to have for myself as well.

2 comments:

Baroness Prudent Spending said...

Happy New Year Moonwaves! I'm so glad you had such a good time in Dublin - reconnecting with friends and family especially with a few laughs is so good for the soul. And it's a great way to end a year and start a new one.

Your curry sounds delish! I will be making one this week as well.

Can't wait to hear about your sealed pot. I stopped mine and SFT seemed to stop blogging as well which was sad because she was great.

Best wishes for a wonderful 2016!
~ Pru

Moonwaves said...

Nice to hear from you again, Pru. And nice to see you've started blogging again. I think I'll probably always try and carry on with a sealed pot now - it's sort of become a habit and I do like having just a little bit of money that hasn't been budgeted away, I have to admit.