Thursday, May 30, 2013

Conversation

What a lovely evening.  The conversation never flagged once and given that it's after half-three and I just got home, that's a lot of conversation over the course of, well, six or seven hours.  Topics ranging from opera and composers' lives to the chemical composition of lysine, from nutrition and diet to books and authors, from old-fashioned comedy to lists of things it's better never to order in a restaurant once you've learned to make them yourself, from the outrage caused here a couple of weeks ago by a performance of Tannhauser which was staged in the nazi period to sharing stories of student life and from gun control laws to how many different ways there are in English to pronounce words ending in "ough" (eight, in case you're wondering).  And that's just the stuff I can remember off the top of my head.  I haven't laughed so much for a long time, nor felt so in awe of how much some people know about so many different subjects.

I went straight from work and had gnocchi (in a tomato sauce with mozzarella and basil) to eat.  Had a cup of peppermint tea after dinner and very late in the evening a shot of Killepitsch, a local liquor. Otherwise I stuck to drinking water the whole night.  Can't quite believe that I wasn't even really all that tired when I left the others.  They were going to try and get one last drink while waiting the 20 minutes for a taxi-driver friend to get there.  I was just so hungry though that I knew if I stayed in town that long I'd end up going for a pizza or a kebab or something similar so I left them and headed off to get a taxi directly home (I only live about five minutes drive from town anyway) so that I could have a slightly healthier couple of slices of bread. My hunger isn't sated properly but hopefully now I'll be able to sleep without waking up too ravenous.  I'm glad I didn't let the horrible rain today put me off going out after all.

No comments: