Sunday, September 05, 2010

Writing style

I am going through some difficult stuff at the moment.  The man who told me he loved me (and who I believed) fecked off for no reason and then just over three weeks later (last Wednesday) sent me a text asking me how the weather here was.  Huh? I'm confused. Although I have to admit that after a few days of really not knowing what to do, on Friday evening I txted back: sunny with intermittent showers. Haven't a reply yet surprisingly. Someone sent me a link to a song by a German band which I have been listening too and finding quite amusing (literal translation of the title is "men are pigs" - I know that's not true of all men but it's a catchy tune!).

I'm also obviously dealing with my debt.  And for the past week I've had a cold which finally settled on my chest yesterday evening which means that today I've had very little voice.  Just what I needed just before starting a week of intensive rehearsals!

But the final straw may have just come when I saw a link to an analyse your writing style website.  Because apparently 



I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!



Oh dear.  Infinite Jest is one of those books we read for book club but that I just never managed to finish.  I've held on to it intending to go back to it one day but I'm very sorry, no matter how much of a literary genius he's supposed to be, I found Infinite Jest at any rate, well, pretty crap to be honest.  It's a good thing I have always considered this blog to really just be my diary and that I don't have any aspirations to become a writer, that's all I can say!  (Given my predilection for using brackets and exclamation marks I think it was already obvious that I'm not all that interested in 'serious' writing!!!)  No, wait, that calls for a smiley face too :-)

I may need to obsessively start trying out that analysis with all previous blog entries, and not just the last one I had made. Surely one of them must come up with something better than DFW!

Edited to add: I've tried it with the rest of the blog posts which appear on this page at the moment, got two writers I've never heard of (Raymond Chandler and Vladimir Nabokov) followed by James Joyce (another one I've never managed to finish a book from) and then another DFW. Oh well, at least I'm laughing. If I weren't I suspect I'd be crying!

Edited again to add: okay, I've googled and Nabokov wrote Lolita, which I've not only heard of, I've read.

3 comments:

Coastal Aussie said...

Just wanted to say 'hi' and hang in there.... and sorry to hear about the disappointing/disappearing man. And to let you know I always enjoy reading along with your blog. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Came across your blog yesterday and enjoyed reading snippets. Reminds me of my own situation in my mid thirties. Being single gives great freedom but gets lonely. Hang in there and believe that one day soon you'll find what you're looking for.

kristi.w. said...

Hi there. Just found your blog and wanted to drop a note to say I'm sorry you're going through some rough times. But remember, when the tough times are over, you will appreciate the good times even more! Chin up.