Sunday, July 29, 2012

Holidays

I went to stay with my sister in France last week and on the return journey stopped off for a few days in the Black Forest.  It is nice to be back here.  I really do need to try and get my act together to move back nearer the mountains in the next couple of years.  I felt so good wandering the hills near Bad Herrenalb on Friday that I ended up booking an extra night in the hotel and instead of going home yesterday like a sensible girl and doing the washing and getting ready for work on Monday (not to mention finishing my tax return), I'm just now waiting for my train in Karlsruhe and all of that will just have to wait until tomorrow after work/next weekend/sometime.

I did take photos although none of them have really come out well.  I'll add some whenever I manage to find the cable to get them onto a computer.  Better head and get the train - maybe if I don't get home too late, I'll feel motivated to make a start on the tax return.  (Feel free to laugh at that idea if you want).

Edited to add that I've made it as far as Frankfurt and have a bit of a wait here for the next train.  While I was wandering around the station a few minutes ago I was approached by a guy working, apparently, for one of the television stations here.  He's looking for nice, single girls for a program and wondered if he might have found one in me.  I answered, obviously, that I was very nice but only in Frankfurt for half an hour or so.  He launched into his spiel for the program, a sort of Blind Date/The Bachelor type thing apparently.  I didn't hear him out to the end, I have to admit since, although I'm aware I need to do more to get out of my comfort zone and I really do need to try new things, this didn't really feel like exactly what would be good for me.  But mostly, I'm just a bit baffled by why he asked me.  Is it really so obvious that I'm single?  Did he take one look at me and think no-one would possibly want her for a girlfriend, she must be single?  Do I have a miasma of desperation hanging over me, showing the world "I need a man!"?  Or is it really so weird for a woman to be travelling on her own?

3 comments:

heather in europe said...

My guess--he noticed no ring on your finger. I've found the same while travelling. A cheap ring will bypass such advances. :-)

Moonwaves said...

It gets worse - I actually checked the Sat1 website to see what the story was and it turns out it's a dating program for, well, fat people. Given that it happened at the end of a wonderful week when I actually managed to eat healthily and start going walking again, it stings more than it might otherwise. I'm sure I'll see the funny side someday but for now, I'm even more glad that I don't have a telly so that I get to miss Schwer Verliebt (roughly translates to Heavily in Love)

Andy in Germany said...

People do notice wedding rings here, I've noticed that as well.

Bad Herrenalb is almost our part of the country. You could have dropped by for a cuppa...